BECOME A VOLUNTEER!
Becoming a volunteer is quite simple. Call or drop by the thrift shop or animal shelter, fill out an application and someone will be in touch with you. There are many areas in which you can volunteer. Just pick which area is best suited for you and get started!
- Dog walking & socializing - We have found that if our dogs are sociable, they are more likely to be adopted. We need volunteers to come to our facility and walk dogs, pet them and play with them. Puppies aren't born wearing collars, they have to learn that it's not something to be scared of. We need people to help puppies learn that collars and leashes are a good thing.
- Dog batheing - When our dogs go to satellite adoption sites, it is a much more pleasant experience for them and their adopters if they are clean. We bathe them the day before they go on these trips. We also try to have our puppies bathed before they go for their spay/neuter.
- Cat cuddling & petting - Cats adjust to new surroundings a little easier than dogs, but they still need human contact. Our cats love it when volunteers come pet and hold them and the kittens love new playmates.
- Sorting and pricing - We get a lot of items donated from our community daily and we need volunteers to work in the back rooms sorting these items. Sorting clothing between ladies, children and menswear, then pricing and putting items on racks ready for sale. We get household goods that sometimes need cleaned making them ready to sell. We get books that need to be categorized and put on the sales floor. We have seasonal items which need to be sorted, packed away or put on the sales floor, and the list goes on and on.
- Cash register - Some volunteers would rather be at the check out desk instead of sorting. We try to work this around all volunteer's schedule. Most days the check out person only works a 3-hour shift.
Satellite Adoption Sites:
- Each Saturday we take our animals to PetSmart in Springfield from the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. There, we set up kennels and tables with our adorable adoptables on display for that possible adopter coming by. The shelter staff helps load the van early those mornings for the volunteers to leave by 8:00 a.m. Volunteers usually return between 4:00-4:30 p.m.
- If you can't leave the shelter with the satellite adoption team, but can meet the team at the site, that is still another way you can help. The animals need tended to throughout the day, checking litter, picking up after and making sure they have water.
- At different times throughout the year we get requests to have our animals at satellite adoption sites other than PetSmart, or sometimes on the same day as PetSmart, so we need several volunteer teams trained in going to these adoption sites.
- Volunteers are needed at fund raising events, such as the silent auction, howl'oween costume contest, etc. to help with selling raffle tickets, taking entry fees, judging, setting up and cleaning up, etc. These events all take a little time and effort, but well worth it in the end.
- Fund raising also requires volunteers who can ask area businesses for donations or sponsorships for various events. Or do small projects such as neighborhood garage sales, bake sales, etc. Business can holde satellite adoption fundraisers to celebrate and anniversary, grand opening, etc.
Fund Bank Collectors:
- We need volunteers to deliver and collect the funds donated in our "fund banks" placed in various businesses around the area. We have a fund bank coordinator, but help is always needed to canvass different areas and be responsible for collecting the money in these fund banks on a regular basis.
- We are able to have one of our sweet dogs go on nursing home visits once a week. We have that dog all bathed and ready to go. If we have more than one nursing home volunteer, we might be able to do this more often. There are several nursing homes in our community that encourage this type of socialization with their residents.
These are just some of the ways you can help. All help is greatly appreciated. Please let us know where you feel you would like to help and we will be glad to put you to work. You will find that there is great satisfaction in helping those who can't speak for themselves - our little furry friends.
Remember, there best hope is us... our ONLY hope is you!